Music and the Law
Contact Hours: 12
Class 1: Copyrights
- Learn how to protect copyright in Africa.
- Understanding the role of rights owners in the governance of CMOs and PROs.
- Knowledge of revenue streams in sound recording and composition.
Class 2: Music Industry Contracts I (Management and Label Contracts)
- Understanding the role of Management and Managers
- Learning to propose managerial advice for artists.
- Defining and Differentiating the role of managers and labels using contracts.
Class 3: Music Industry Contracts II (Endorsements, Performances, Sponsorships)
- Understanding contract terms and clauses and their meanings and consequences.
- Learning contract drafting and negotiation.
Class 4: IP Valuation (Trademarks, patents, monetising IP)
- Understanding of how the industry protects and monetise IP.
- Knowledge of considerations that shape IP laws.